Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Online Estate Planning Programs

Millions of Americans still die without a valid will, even though every single one knew that he or she would die at some point.
In an effort to avoid paying a lawyer for something that he could get free from the internet, a client recently showed me a will he had written with the help of an online program. I hate to look at these documents because once I review it, I assume the liability of having drafted it. But, in this instance I could not help but comment on his document. Despite a lot of the required bells and whistles, it was missing a signature line. How he got it witnessed and notarized is beyond me, but sadly, if presented to a Court, his missing signature would have invalidated the document in full.
If you let us help you craft an estate plan, it will include a valid will. Promise.